11.29.2009

Heartsick

Of all the jobs that I've applied for and been rejected for in the 19 months since moving to Colorado, the one that hurt the most was the Volunteer Coordinator position at the animal shelter where I've put in hundreds of hours since August 2008. During that time, I've worked in the following shelter programs: dog enrichment; trail walks (for the dogs who are short-term shelter residents); a special program for the long-term dogs (mostly pit bulls); dog-handling at off-site adoption events; and, for the last five months, as the designer for the volunteer newsletter. I've bathed a few dirty dogs and come home soaking wet, and, recently, was one of five volunteers asked to participate in a new program for dogs "with issues" that are awaiting court dates or breed-specific rescue groups.

I was never called to interview for the position; last Monday, I was just told verbally that I didn't get it. Since I got the news in public, several feet from where other volunteers were standing, there was really no opportunity to discuss it.

Since I left the shelter that day feeling heartsick, I sent an email to the shelter staff member who will be supervising the position. She has been the Volunteer Coordinator since I started there (she's moving to another position within the organization), so I've had a lot of interactions with her during my time at the shelter.

For those who haven't had to look for a job in this economy—particularly those of you over 50—the following email exchange (my email to the shelter contact and her reply) is an example of why, some days, I feel as worthless as a used Kleenex.

Hi ----,

Thanks for telling me in person that another candidate had been chosen for the Volunteer Coordinator spot. I didn't want to discuss it in the shelter lobby in front of other volunteers, but it would be helpful to me--as I continue to job hunt--to know if there was something in my resume or in my interactions at the shelter that would have made me a more attractive candidate. (I guess that I was a bit surprised that I didn't even rate an interview.)

I'm not trying to put you on the spot--truly--but if there's anything that you can add to my understanding of the hiring process without making it too awkward for either of us in the future, I'd be appreciative. Thanks much.

Kate

Hi, Kate,

I appreciate your email.

As I think I had mentioned awhile back, we were amazed by the 76 applicants for a part-time position. So I completely understand your surprise with the process. It was very competitive and some of the applicants had a great deal of nonprofit work experience and management/training of volunteers.

There was nothing at all that you could have done differently in the process or with your interactions with [the shelter].

I wish you the BEST of luck with your job search. Thanks for following up with me!

Sincerely,
----

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really sorry, Katie. You've given so much time to that organization. It is not fair. I truly understand your feelings.
Sheila

Françoise said...

Kate, it really seems to me that you at the very least rated an interview if only as a courtesy in recognition of your work as a volunteer. It was very insensitive of them to treat you in this manner.
If you have experience with "dogs with issues" perhaps you could freelance in this field? It might not be a gold mine but it seems to me that you have sufficient experience to set up as a dog trainer.