2.01.2011

The first best book of 2011

When I'm in the midst of a wonderful book, life acquires an extra sheen. The weather might be frigid, the foster dog might be throwing up in our bed, and I might go all day without speaking to a human being, but I will still be content as I go back and forth between reading and the rest of life.

Here's a few samples from "The Weird Sisters" by Eleanor Brown, which I (sadly) just finished. I expect that I'll end up owning the library copy, which the foster dog really did hurl on while I was reading it in bed the other night. A small price to pay for such pleasure.

We were fairly certain that if anyone made public the various and variegated ways in which being an adult sucked eggs, more people might opt out entirely.

We were never organized readers who would see a book through to its end in any sort of logical order. We weave in and out of words like tourists on a hop-on, hop-off bus tour.

We think, in some ways, we have done this our whole lives, searching for a book that will give us the keys to ourselves, let us into a wholly formed personality as though it were a furnished room to let.

2 comments:

peanut gallery said...

OK, I put it on reserve. Too bad there are 71 people ahead of me.
Try Kings of the Earth by Jon Clinch if you are stuck for a read.

Kate G said...

Thanks for the tip, Gayle. I put a hold on Kings of the Earth, and there's only two people ahead of me.