9.15.2009

books. dogs. life is good.

During the years of our black and white feline sisters, Thelma and Louise, I owned a T-shirt and a tote bag with this Edward Gorey image:


Above the image were the words, "books. cats." Below the image, "life is good."

Despite continuing unemployment and assorted other stresses, today's T-shirt would be similar, but with a canine focus. Books, mostly from the Jefferson County Library, continue to make me happy. In the past few weeks, I've had a particularly splendid run of "good reads," as we used to call them at NPL: The Little Book by Edward Selden, a novel of time travel with remarkable twists, and In the Woods and The Image, psychological mysteries by Irish author Tana French. (Thanks to my sister-in-law Wendy for introducing me to Ms. French's work.)

Although there are no longer cats in our lives, we still have our just-turned-13-years-old Hana here at home. And, on the days when I am at the animal shelter, a constantly changing cast of dogs reminds me that grace and a sense of humor are possible even in the grimmest of situations. Below is Tiger Lily, my current favorite, whose ear-to-ear doggie grin is completely contagious. The shelter calls her a Staffordshire Bull Terrier (aka pit bull) mix, but because of her ears and her diminutive size (relative to most of our pits), I tell her that she's just a big-boned French Bulldog.

Photo: © 2009 TMAC

No comments: