4.12.2010

Four-Eyed Once More

I started wearing glasses in the third grade. In college, when I thought that I might be walking down the aisle with John C., I got contact lenses. No way would I be a four-eyed bride.

Obviously, I didn't marry John, but I've been wearing contacts for the 35 years since that romance went bust. As I got older, I needed reading glasses on top of the contacts. Since I constantly misplace my reading glasses, I now own 10 pairs, ranging in style from Costco three-packs (a frugal fashion statement recommended by Mike M. and Steve K.) to Kate Spade.

Colorado's dry climate is tough on contact lens wearers, though; by the middle of many afternoons, my eyes are burning. So, while I'm keeping my contacts for the purposes of vanity, as of today, I am the somewhat ambivalent owner of my first pair of bifocals, er, progressive lenses.

At least in my current four-eyed incarnation, I'm sporting Vera Wang frames, a big improvement over the cat-eye glasses of my childhood.

1965: My glasses are awful, but note that
I am wearing a fashionable Madras shirt.

3 comments:

peanut gallery said...

Hey Kate, What are you doing with Gayle's glasses on?

Anonymous said...

I had frames like that too but I don't think any picture survives!

Unknown said...

Love that photo! You could be like me, a contact lens wearer forever and then, all of a sudden, I could not wear contacts. The verdict--allergic to the contacts themselves (any contact lens) --an ingredient in the lens doesn't like me--or, my doesn't like the lenses. So now I'm in glasses, but not progressive. I have a pair of computer/reading glasses (blue) AND THREE pairs of distance glasses (dark green, pink, and camel colored). All the same brand (named 2.5s cuz they weigh 2.5 grams!). I kinda like having multiple pairs. I might buy a fourth pair soon---using my healthcare flexible spending account!